ASTM A500 / A500M-10 Specifications
The term Hollow Structural Sections (HSS) refers to a high-strength welded carbon steel tube
used as structural elements in construction and a variety of manufactured products.
Independence Tube manufactures HSS A500 in square and rectangular shapes. Our size range by manufacturing division is as follows:
|CHICAGO||Squares - 2" SQ x .125" through 6" SQ x .375"|
| ||Rectangles - 2-1/2" x 1-1/2" x .125" wall through 8" x 4" x .375"|
|MARSEILLES||Squares - 2" SQ x .109" through 10" SQ x .625"|
| ||Rectangles - 2-1/2" x 1-1/2" X .125" wall through 12" x 8" x .625"|
|DECATUR||Squares - 2-1/2" SQ x .188" through 12" SQ x .625"|
| ||Rectangles - 3" X 2" x .188" wall through 16" x 8" x .625"|
Some of the many benefits of HSS are:
- Strength - HSS has a high strength to weight ratio, excellent compression support characteristics and excellent torsional resistance.
- Appearance - In exposed applications, HSS tubing becomes an exciting, visual part of the design of buildings and other structures.
- Uniformity - HSS provides uniformity of size, shape, strength and tolerances that make its use totally predictable.
- Ease of Fabrication - HSS can be readily bent, formed, punched and drilled. New and improved methods of fastening HSS to itself or other materials are making its use simpler and faster.
- Cost effectiveness - HSS is cost competitive with other structural materials. With improved connecting and fastening methods, it often enjoys a cost advantage.
- Resistant/Consistent - HSS is fire resistant and does not warp, twist, split, swell or shrink. It resists dry rot and mildew, as well as termites and carpenter ants.
- Environmentally Friendly - HSS is made from steel, one of the world's most recyclable and recycled materials.
All Independence Tube structural tubing is produced in accordance with the mechanical
and chemical property requirements of ASTM A500, Grades B & C.